Facebook Twitter Yelp Vimeo

Our History

A Timeline of Wilshire Boulevard Temple


Solomon Carvalho, an artist with John C. Fremont’s exploratory expedition of the West, visits Los Angeles, encouraging local Jews to form a Hebrew Benevolent Society. In July, the Society incorporates; the following year, it receives land from the city to establish the first Jewish cemetery, located near present-day Dodger Stadium.


Joseph Newmark, a lay rabbi, obtains a state charter and organizes Congregation B’nai B’rith, the first Jewish synagogue in Los Angeles.


With 40 families, the congregation dedicates its first             The Temple's second synogogue building, 
building, which the Los Angeles Star describes as “the         approximately 1928
most superior church edifice in Southern California.”
Temple president Isaias W. Hellman is a civic leader who helped Harrison Gray Otis buy the Los Angeles Times and helped build the trolley cars that joined Henry Huntington’s Pacific Electric Line.


With Temple membership now doubled, elements of Reform Judaism are introduced. A national economic depression coupled with the end of a real estate boom affects the congregation. Nonetheless, construction begins in 1889 on a new building downtown at Ninth & Hope on a lot purchased several years earlier.


Congregation B’nai B'rith’s new Sanctuary is dedicated before a capacity crowd of Jews and Christians. The congregation adopts a Reform prayer book.


Typifying the new American Reform movement, Rabbi Sigmund Hecht assumes leadership, bringing stability and strong growth to B’nai B’rith. Rabbi Hecht is instrumental in organizing Jewish federated giving. The congregation subsequently fosters the growth of several Jewish charitable agencies. 


Congregation president Kaspare Cohn donates 30 acres of land in East Los Angeles to replace the cemetery established nearly 50 years earlier. Over the next eight years, remains and stones are transferred from Chavez Ravine to the new Home of Peace Memorial Park.
The Temple's current synagogue, approximately 1929      Rabbi Hecht organizes women’s and youth 
                                                                                            programs and affiliates the congregation with the  
                                                                                            Union of Hebrew Congregations.


Rabbi Hecht hires recently ordained Rabbi Edgar F. Magnin to serve as his assistant. Rabbi Magnin joins Hecht in expanding the congregation’s local interfaith outreach and civic engagement in both national and international issues.


B’nai B’rith breaks ground for its third synagogue at the northeast corner of Hobart and Wilshire Boulevards.


Rabbi Maxwell H. Dubin joins the clergy at the Temple to direct the Religious School and adult programs.


The new Temple is dedicated. Its richly ornamented interior features black marble, gold inlay, fine mosaics, rare woods and Biblically-themed murals created by artist Hugo Ballin, who was commissioned by Warner Bros. studio chief Jack Warner and his two surviving brothers. The Temple’s immense Byzantine dome soon becomes a landmark in Wilshire Center and throughout Los Angeles.


On November 30, the official name of the Congregation is changed from Congregation B'nai B'rith to Wilshire Boulevard Temple.


Rabbi Alfred Wolf joins the Temple.


Under the leadership of Rabbi Wolf, the Temple develops Camp Hess Kramer in Malibu.


Wilshire Boulevard Temple opens Gindling Hilltop Camp in Malibu.


Rabbi Dubin dies, after 54 years at the Temple.


Wilshire Boulevard Temple enters the National Register of Historic Places.


Rabbi Harvey J. Fields comes to Wilshire Boulevard Temple.


Rabbi Edgar F. Magnin dies, after 69 years at Wilshire Boulevard Temple. Rabbi Wolf succeeds him as senior
The Temple's current synagogue, approximately 1950            rabbi.


Rabbi Emeritus Wolf retires from the Temple to become founding director of the Skirball Institute on American Values of the American Jewish Committee. He is succeeded as senior rabbi by Rabbi Fields. Rabbi Karen Fox joins the Temple in January as the congregation's first woman rabbi.


Rabbi Steven Z. Leder comes to Wilshire Boulevard Temple.


Wilshire Boulevard Temple dedicates the Steve Breuer Conference Center in Malibu.


The Temple purchases property for the Audrey and Sydney Irmas Campus at Olympic Boulevard and Barrington Avenue.


The Audrey and Sydney Irmas Campus opens in West Los Angeles. The Mann Family Early Childhood Center opens at the Irmas Campus.


Brawerman Elementary School West opens at the Irmas Campus.


The Erika J. Glazer Early Childhood Center opens at the                   Audrey and Sydney Irmas Campus
Temple Campus. The Rose Window and spicebox
chandeliers in the Sanctuary are removed for restoration.


Brawerman Elementary School East opens. Full renovation begins on the historic building; the Magnin Sanctuary closes until the fall of 2013.

Wilshire Boulevard Temple Sanctuary View from Balcony2013

The historic Temple Campus is renamed the Erika J. Glazer Family Campus of Wilshire Boulevard Temple. Read more here. Fully restored and renovated Magnin Sanctuary reopens for High Holy Days 2013, with the grand celebration of the official reopening on September 29, 2013.


On July 20, the Temple breaks ground on a new structure along Sixth Street, to house the Karsh Social Service Center, parking for approximately 450 cars, and a rooftop sports complex for Brawerman students, the congregation, and the neighborhood. Renovation begins on the two existing school buildings--the historic de Toledo School Building (1929) and the 1962 building, to meet the educational needs of
The inside of the current Sanctuary                our current and future children and families.  
following its grand reopening in 2013


The parking pavilion and renovated school buildings for the Early Childhood Center and Brawerman East open in the fall.


The Karsh Family Social Service Center, furthering the Temple's longstanding commitment to Tikkun Olam and community service, (right) opened it's doors in April.


Wilshire Boulevard Temple

Latest Tweets